Wednesday 25 July 2007

L'Ennui, la nausée and quelques bêtes noires...

Having recently returned from our first holiday 'en famille', I feel compelled to add a little continentalism, if not existentialism, into my post.

We were supporting the planet (and supposedly our sanity) by spending a week away in the UK; deep in the cotswolds to be more precise. Very beautiful it was too. And wet. And rather chilly actually. Oh, and WET - did I mention that?!

Actually with hindsight we were very lucky to have had electricity, water and dry clothes/furniture for the week. At the time though, we overlooked this 'luck', and instead felt a little miffed at missing out on the cloudless skies and balmy nights of southern Europe.

Iris also felt a little put out it seemed, and decided to revert to her newborn feeding status. I like to think it was due to a growth spurt, however I have a sneaky feeling she may have inherited her mum's urban leanings and was comfort eating.

On the plus side we thoroughly muddied our new walking shoes ambling through some damp but glorious Gloucestershire countryside, introduced Iris to livestock (I have a whole new affinity with dairy cattle), enjoyed some lovely roaring log fires and exchanged 'good mornings' with Jilly Cooper (not best known for her existentialism admittedly).

On the downside the week culminated with me suffering exhaustion, hubby suffering from cabin fever and us all smelling of sick as poor Iris succombed to a rural tummy bug.

And the bêtes noires? Well aside from my new maternal neuroses, they manifested themselves as an army of slugs, marshalling the kitchen and living room at night (rather slimy underfoot as I found out on one of my nocturnal milk rounds, eeeuugh).

Oh how we will laugh, one day, while sipping cocktails in some sultry exotic destination....

7 comments:

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Mes condoliences Nouvelle Maman Arrivee en ville...p'raps you should have gone away with SAHD? But I'm sure your carbon footprinted conscience is a lot clearer than his.
Pigx

New Mum in Town said...

merci chere pig, shall be making that point to him in person, although will wait until his suntan has faded a bit, and my colour has improved with the help of lancome!

ps - my choice of nappies is niggling at my cb conscience, so i can't even be smug about that, dammit!!

x

Pig in the Kitchen said...

oh the nappies thing...i'm trying not to calculate the depth of landfill my nappies have filled...(not my own nappies you understand), but have you tried Moltex Oko nappies? there's a lovely company called Naturebotts that will deliver huge quantities to your door, thus saving you shifting off your arse, and errr- i'm sure - reducing your carbon footprint. I'm listening to my friendly resident mouse scratching around inside my walls...the half bottle of rose is helping. how is your little souris?

New Mum in Town said...

yes keep meaning to try moltex - not sure about the real ones yet although I should obviously try my hardest to avoid going to nappy hell!

mickey hasn't been seen since, and apparently the poison has disappeared...der der deerrrrr....in a mouse court of law I could always blame my husband; it was HIM m'mouse.

Rosie said...

Oh dear! Gloucestershire was certainly not the best place to holiday this 'summer' (for want of a better word.)But think of all the sun damage caused by the scorching temperatures across Europe, and the long delays at airports. Actually come to think of it anything has to be better than a wet school holiday.

Frog in the Field said...

When we first moved into our (now renovated) cottage, I remember an early hour trip to the kitchen to get Calpol or Ribena (does it matter at that time in the morning?). I didn't have my glasses on and picked up an enormous fat golden slug instead of the golden lid to the Ribena.
I still shudder at the thought..yuchk!
I have had laser surgery since..ugh!

New Mum in Town said...

eeeeuuugh, my sympathies - they're probably lovely things really but I think you need to be another slug to appreciate that!