Wednesday 4 July 2007

We are not alone..

After (another) day of being held hostage in my own home by a) Parcel Force and b) the weather, I discovered that I had unwittingly been hosting a small party in the living room.

A very small party for very small furry guests. MICE.

Conscious of the need to remain calm and practical, and defy the stereotypical female reaction for the sake of my young daughter (never too early to learn etc etc), I yanked her off my breast, hopped over the sofa in one surprisingly athletic leap, and raced upstairs.

It's all a bit of a blur, but I seem to remember that one of us was squealing loudly, the other weeping hungrily. Or was it the other way round? Anyway, from the safety of the first floor, I called my husband. So far, so stereotypical.

Selfishly not answering his mobile while cycling home in the hail, I decided to assume the worst. We were under attack, the threat level had suddenly risen to critical, and all social events planned at home would have to be cancelled for the foreseeable future. I broke the bad news to my NCT ladies in a slightly hysterical email.

'Tomorrow's tea cancelled due to rodent infestation.'

My rather wet husband returned home to see me banging on the first floor window and mouthing 'M O U S E' while pointing jaggedly at the ground. In retrospect I think I may have looked slightly mad; he was certainly relieved to find I hadn't in fact developed an unforeseen medical complaint, and was in fact bravely protecting our baby from enemy invaders.

Needless to say, hubby felt I may have over-reacted. He has promised to buy poison in his lunch break today, and has reassured me that I really have nothing to fear. I put on a brave face and promised to be more rational. Which is why I am writing this from the barstool in the kitchen and am meeting my NCT ladies in Cafe Nero later.

14 comments:

Motheratlarge said...

Oh my goodness! What a nightmare for you. My daughter spotted some mouse poison the other week in a cafe and made a beeline for it. Since it was all happening at floor level I barely realised what was happening, before the cafe owner leapt forward to stop her putting any mouse poison in her mouth. It was highly nerve-wracking.

New Mum in Town said...

Oh my god that would have been awful - not such a relaxing cappucino!

Thank goodness Iris is still confined to her chair - I'm just dreading finding the corpses now - eeeeek!

beta mum said...

We did an NCT houseswap and there was a mouse living in the kitchen which came out at night and ate the children's cereal.
Mike laid an elaborate trap for it, but it sidestepped the booby traps and went for the bread instead.

New Mum in Town said...

they probably have a well established mouse lore taught to all baby mice - eat cheese at your peril, avoid anything easy, stick with food in boxes and you'll go far...

they also seem to like rice milk I've just discovered!

Iota said...

Yikes! One small soft squeaking creature is definitely enough for a household...

Elsie Button said...

oh dear! we have hundreds of mice in our house - they are such cheeky little devils. i don't mind them that much - it's rats i can't bear. if i EVER saw a rat anywhere near our house i would have to move.

New Mum in Town said...

don't remind me - we had rats inbetween our and the neighbour's house in Brixton. I say 'we' but I blame my husband as it was his flat really!

I never saw one thank god, but the gnawing and scratching sounds from behind the bathroom wall made me a very quick bather!

It also made me paranoid about rats coming out of loos - still not sure if that's an urban myth or not...

Anonymous said...

Rest assured that mice and rats do not co-exist, so therefore you have the lesser of two evils!

Chocolate and a mouse trap are killer combinations, although anyone slightly squeamish may not enjoy disposing of a mouse caught in aforementioned trap.

Nice blog, enjoyed reading it!

New Mum in Town said...

that's a relief! (about the rats not the corpses!).

dilemma also about the use of chocolate - they can't have it, it's all MINE!

nice to meet you by the way!

Pig in the Kitchen said...

eeeek Mice! we had an infestation in our old house that the rodent man called 'considerable'. I spent three years trying to kill them myself, starting gently with humane traps building up to traps that decapitated them. The low point was being woken at 4am by insanely loud gnawing which was coming from under the bed. I too called my husband. Just because you're in Turkey doesn't mean you can't deal with the mice I thought!

Bait your traps with flour...it's fiddly and they have to sit awhile trying to get it all...!
Pigx

Rosie said...

I would normally Screeeeeeeeeeam at the sight of anything moving around on the floor that I has not been invited into my home. However now that I have a 4 year old I, like you, am trying to remain calm in these situations and programme her not to panic. Trust me, over time you (pretend) to become friends with all sorts of strange creatures and insects (recently it was woodlice for us - yuk!)

Love you site, got here via Mother at Large. Keep posting.

Martin said...

He he fun story! Good luck with everything... Can't believe you have time blogging!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying your blog! The mouse situation did make me chuckle, mostly because I know I would have reacted in exactly the same way :-) Best wishes to you and Iris.

Anonymous said...

kjW3Yt Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!