Friday 4 May 2007

All hail Iris!

My beautiful baby girl Iris is 3 weeks old today - she insisted on hanging on a week extra to make her grand appearance on Friday 13th, heralded by a suitable amount of horror film-style pain and gore (ok, I exaggerate, although I can only assume the beauty of childbirth referred to by various supermums must allude to the relief of it finally being over!).

Amazing how fast time whizzes by in a blur of poo, sleep deprivation and bad tv - I feel like a newborn party-goer, tip-toeing home each morning at dawn smelling like baby milk instead of too many cocktails, and boosting myself into each new day with a strong peppermint tea instead of a double espresso/redbull.

Seems like a lifetime ago since my last post, and those bored last days on the sofa - an Iris atheist then, I still worshipped at the alter of Desperate Housewives box sets and Top Shop options - ah the young naive me! Now I have been fully baptised into my new faith of All Things Iris.

And I am suitably in awe. Just this lunchtime a package arrived from baby Top Shop, addressed to her, with no card or sender details. I can only assume she has learnt to log on and order online, and am immensely impressed both by her taste in dresses and digital dexterity.

All hail, Iris.

7 comments:

beta mum said...

What a wonderful time - those first few weeks with the first baby.
Enjoy them through the fog of sleep deprivation, your sitting room doubtless a blur of pink Congratulations cards.
We had to go out and buy new vases when our first was born. We didn't need them for the second!

New Mum in Town said...

Hi beta mum - you're spot on about the pink array of cards, I'm amazed we didn't receive any duplicates! We have reclaimed our vases and jugs now though as the last of the lovely bouquets has wilted - along with any memory of a full night's sleep - all worth it though of course, we're well and truly smitten!

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Welcome Iris, and that's a lovely name. You sound very upbeat given the amount of sleep deprivation. Please don't tell me she sleeps through the night because I may never visit again.

Congratulations!
Pigx
Hey, you're not Stay at Home Dad's Sister are you??!!

New Mum in Town said...

Hi Pig - nope that would be my husband that sleeps through the night! Iris and I are up every 2 hours patrolling the house and making sure he's safe, haha!

And full marks for the detective work - Stay at home Dad is indeed my big bro - bit of a giveaway that I only have his blog link on my page so far I guess! Actually I think he could do with a cupcake recipe...

No sleep smugness here so do visit again! Will put Iris in virtual buggy and call in too.

Pig in the Kitchen said...

Husbands, grrrr, don't get me started on sleeping husbands.

Every 2 hours, that's rough.

Gosh, I'm quite clever really aren't i?! about SAHD I mean!
Pigx

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh, congrats! Iris is a gorgeous name.
I like your blog - am impressed you can write anything at all with a tiny new baby.
Good luck with the sleep thing - it is torturous, I know...

Elsie Button said...

just found your blog through SAHD (your bro!). i too am amazed that you can write so coherently with a 3 week old baby in tow. it is such an amazing thing though isn't it. that newborn phase is still fresh in my mind (have a 6 month old daughter called Betty) and it just gets better and better! love your blog (your brother's is good too!)