Wednesday 30 May 2007

I've started so I'll ....

I knew there was something I should have mentioned at my six week check-up yesterday. I think I have baby-stupor.

I haven't actually had time to google the condition, but then that's part of the problem. My mind seems to be several steps behind my actions (or is it the other way round?). Anyway, as I reach for the laptop in a moment of snuffly calm, I instantly forget what it was I earnestly planned to research/write/send.

Um, ah yes, the parasol for the buggy, now I'm sure I ordered that more than 14 working days ago; no that's right, my finances, must check them very soon, as soon as I have googled this very important issue which I just can't quite remember....

Somehow I always end up on Top Shop online, as a comfort default, hoping that the 'new in' page will jog my memory.

Nice jacket! Oh yes, my blog, must...hang on, what colour is that top? ooh perfect.

Or maybe it's not 'baby-stupor', maybe it's a new condition linked to amnesia - a post-natal case of 'jamais-vu' absent mindedness. Or perhaps early Alzheimer's.

Write a list, you cry. Well yes, good point, however I seem to have started several, and keep finding the wrong one for the moment. The other day I purposefully pulled out my list in the middle of Sainsbury's and came to a bit of a standstill.

Thank you cards - must write before people forget what we're thanking them for, and in fact, who we are.
Clean toilets
Return emails
Cut Iris's nails..again
Write shopping list

Turning up at the surgery yesterday, I tried to remind myself of the various symptoms and medical idiosyncrasies I had saved up for the occasion:

eggs
tissues
bread
WINE
CHOCOLATE

On the plus side (for some future anthropological study that I'll forget to take part in) I do now understand the success of daytime TV (10am, strangely drawn to Jeremy Kyle's rough charm; 11am, Fern and Philip, not so bad after all, quite nice really....ah, at last, a question I know the answer to, albeit a multiple choice one; 1pm, lunchtime news, bit taxing; 1.40pm, hoorah! Neighbours, my favourite..).

Oh dear, I have officially self dumbed-down. Must try my hardest to retrieve some of my previous mental substance. Will add that to a new list, along with fizzy water and nappy sacks.

Now, where was I? Oh yes, www.topsh......

8 comments:

Pig in the Kitchen said...

I think you're doing well to even get a list written (I nearly wrote wrist litten, it doesn't get any better)...and what else would you do other than watch daytime tv? Oh, you could go to an NCT meeting, don't forget that treacle tart now!

Have you tried using an emery board on Iris' nails? It rounds off the sharp edges and you can do it quick whilst they're screaming and trying to pull away...
Pigx

New Mum in Town said...

Hi Pig - good idea about the nail file, I knew my investment in Nails Inc products would pay off in the end!! I still can't get over how soft her little feet are, so lovely!

x

Elsie Button said...

oh my god - i can so sympathise, (or is it empathise?) with you. you see - i can't even speak anymore! i've stopped pretending i have any kind of memory/brain left and just float around in my own little dippy bubble now.

i can relate to EVERYTHING you say! - it's so brilliantly put. Hope little Iris is doing well.

Scruffy Mummy said...

It all gets better after 6 months!! I spent the first 6 months in a complete haze. The best bit was sitting in cafe's eating lots of cake and not worrying about my weight as it dropped off from breastfeeding - it's all come back now sadly!

Elsie Button said...

PS i recommend Matthew Wright instead of Jeremy Kyle! oh dear... sad..

New Mum in Town said...

matthew wright eh? great, will investigate, nice to have a mission, although does he perch in the same way on the step I wonder!!

Stay at home dad said...

No he doesn't. The Wright Stuff comes on directly after 'Milkshake': Peppa Pig, Noddy etc. So much to come!

New Mum in Town said...

just had quick peek at mr wright, and I'm afraid on appearances alone I'm going to have to stick with mr kyle...